1/22/08

It Feels Good To Be Wanted


After essentially being displaced in Golden State, Hughes found a home in the nation's capital.

Wizards add free agent Hughes to backcourt


July 18, 2002
SportsLine.com wire reports
Click here to find out more!


Share this page.

WASHINGTON -- Free agent guard Larry Hughes signed a three-year contract with Washington on Thursday, choosing the Wizards over several other NBA teams.

"It's a tremendous opportunity to come into an organization whose goal is focused on winning, with a main focus of playing in that championship game and coming out on top," said Hughes, who also was considering Philadelphia, Minnesota, Miami and four other franchises.

The 6-foot-5, 184-pound Hughes, who can play either guard position, will have an opening salary of $4.5 million. He averaged 12.4 points and 4.3 assists in 73 games with the Golden State Warriors last season.

"We've been, in essence, trying to secure Larry for two years, so this is not something that just came about on the spur of the moment," Wizards general manager Wes Unseld said. "We feel real comfortable that he is going to bring some more versatility to our basketball team. He can play the 1, the 2 or the 3, but what we want him to do is just play basketball.

"There are times when we need a guard who can defensively play the 1 with a little more size than we have. And there are times when we need a backup or someone to play alongside Richard Hamilton. What we're trying to do is give the coaches as much versatility as we can."

Hughes has averaged 13.3 points, 4.1 rebounds and 3.2 assists during a four-year NBA career with Philadelphia and Golden State.

"I'm a lot better player now than I was in Philadelphia," Hughes said. "I'm only 23, and I've learned a lot in these four years.

"I feel comfortable playing both (guard positions). I like giving my opponent different things to look at, whether it be off the ball or on the ball. I don't want to limit myself to any one position."

During the 2000-01 season, Hughes averaged career highs in points (16.5), rebounds (5.5), assists (4.5) and steals (1.5) joining Kobe Bryant, Tracy McGrady, Jason Kidd, Steve Francis and Antoine Walker as the only players to average at least 16 points, 5.5 rebounds, 4.5 assists and 1.5 steals that season.

Hughes left Saint Louis University after his freshman year and was the eighth overall selection in the 1998 draft by Philadelphia.

"It's good to feel like you're wanted, and Wes Unseld made me feel like I was top priority," Hughes said. "And I wanted to be here, so it was a good fit. I think this is the best spot for me."

No comments: